Sunday, April 30, 2006

Spring Migration


For the last week I've been trying to spend what days I can at several migrant hotspots along the coast in order to catch what's left of spring migration. Soon things will begin to dry up until the fall. I spent two days at Sabine Woods and one day at Smith Woods in High Island, TX and an afternoon at the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. Rather than list what I saw at each I will combine all sightings. If anyone wants specifics you can email me. The one sighting that really excited me was the Black-whiskered vireo (Vireo altiloquus) at Smith Woods. This particular vireo is a rarity here. It winters in South America and its bredding range is mostly restricted to the Florida coasts.

Warblers

Yellow-throated (1)
American Redstart (4)
Common yellowthroat (5)
Black-throated green (4)
Yellow warbler (6)
Black & White warbler (11)
Golden-winged (1)
Chestnut-sided (6)
Blackburnian (2)
Magnolia (8)
Hooded (2)
Canada (1)
Blackpoll (3)
Worm-eating (1)

Vireos

Black-whiskered- (1)
Red-eyed (2)
White-eyed (1)
Yellow-throated (1)
Solitary (1)
Philadelphia (3)
Warbling (1)

Others:

Yellow-billed cuckoo (5)
Indigo bunting (3)
Painted bunting (1)
Orchard oriole (18)
Gray catbird (27)
Baltimore oriole (6)
Rose-breasted grosbeak (16)
Scarlet tanager (3)
Summer tanager (1)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Schools