Thursday, April 22, 2010

Kids and Nature

"Let children walk with Nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communions of death and life, their joyous inseparable unity, as taught in woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is stingless indeed, and as beautiful as life."

John Muir


A neighbor of mine was working his flower garden when he called to me from across the street. As he walked over I could see that he had a small snake curled up on one of his gardening tools. He's not to fond of snakes and was unaware as to the "status" of the reptile- if it was poisonous or not. As he approached I knew exactly what it was - a DeKay's Brown snake. I've written about this reptile before. It just so happens that my grand-daughter was visiting so I took this perfect opportunity to introduce her to Mr. (or Miss) DeKay's.

She's only two years old and still not sure about a lot of stuff particularly creepy crawly things, but I want her to grow up learning and knowing that nature is not all bad and scary. That nature is beautiful, inspiring, and something to be cherished. There are so many parents that fail to introduce their kids to nature and in my opinion that is a travesty. If we do not teach our kids and grandkids about the natural world today who will be its stewards tomorrow?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Schools