Thursday, April 26, 2007

Bluebird Nestbox Check

I checked on my bluebirds and found that I still only have 2 nestlings. The other eggs are probably underneath them and are assumed to be infertile. They were feathered out quite a bit more than the last time I looked at them.

If I had to guess I would say they are atleast 11 days old by comparing my pictures with those of this age on a bluebird website. Since I'm unable to check them on a regular basis it's hard for me to keep nest records for age accuracy. This may be the last time I'll be able to open the box because they're getting close to the age (12-13 days old) where they could prematurely fledge if I disturb them. Don't want that to happen.

My neighbor's box had what looked like three nestling, possibly four. It was hard to tell the way they were all jumbled up. As they get older it should be easier to count them. I also got some good video of the adults and will put it in a future post.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Schools