Monday, March 09, 2009

Cynipid Wasp Galls

These pine cone looking galls remind me of the egg cases from the movie Alien. They’re actually the insect gall of the cynipid wasp. A bug guy identified these for me saying “there are several hundred kinds of cynipid wasps that each make their own kind of gall on a particular kind of oak.” So there’s no telling which cynipid wasp these galls belong to. I only wish I had done what he suggested and collected the leaf. I could’ve then held on to them until they hatched and possibly had them identified.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look almost like little pinecones, but those little 'caps' on top beg the question of what's going to come crawling out! It would indeed have been interesting to hatch them, but just seeing them in your photo is amazing enough. If you can find the same leaf after they hatch, it would be fascinating to see what they look like post-hatch (little caps removed and hollow inside, or something else?)

3:38 PM  
Blogger EcoRover said...

There's also a cynipid wasp that causes galls on big sagebrush. I'll be posting a photo later today.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Daven said...

Hi. On which type of oak were these galls found?

7:25 PM  
Blogger Jace Stansbury said...

I think it was a water oak.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Schools