Sunday, September 17, 2006

Mud Dauber Tube Cache

I bought a storage shed for the camp to keep odds and ends in and while setting up my ladder to do a little caulking I found the nest tube of a mud-dauber securely glued to the top step. I was moving the ladder in order to photograph the single tube when I bumped it on a corner of the shed and broke it open. Inside revealed what the dauber had stored for its future progeny. With a pair of tweezers I began delicately removing one spider after another. I was amazed at how many were crammed in such a small tube. I found 5 different species, 8 spiders in all. They're not dead but in fact paralyzed by the venom of the adult dauber so they'll stay fresh.
P1060777
If you'll notice in the second picture there is a mud-dauber larva feeding on one of the spiders. Amazing....
P1060773

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Online Schools